Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Functions of a metal filer

What is a metal filer? 



Josh: A metal filer is a tool made of hardened steel that contains a handle and cutting edges.



What are the uses of a metal filer?




Josh: a metal filer as depicted in this picture can be used for forming and smoothing surfaces and most especially, metal.



If I want to form a curved edge on a sheet of metal what tools will I need? 


filer

sand paper

vise grip

metal sheet

Josh: To form a curved edge on a sheet of metal you're going to need a metal filer, a sheet of sandpaper, a vise grip, and of course the sheet of metal.



Are there any safety precautions I should take?




Josh: I would highly suggest using a pair of thick gloves being that the metal filer can cause damage to bare skin if contact is made. 



What is the first step I take in forming the curved edge I want?


left to loosen.

right to secure object

Josh: Before beginning the process of filing you should take a moment to understand how the vise grip works. As depicted in the pictures above left is to loosen the grip and right is to secure the object. Make sure when placing the object in the vise you tighten it well enough to prevent it from moving when filing. Place the sheet of metal in the vise horizontally and secure it tightly. 



What do I do after I have secured my sheet of metal into the vise? 



Josh: You then take your file and begin to start filing out the edge of the metal you want curved.



What technique should I use in order to achieve a perfectly curved edge? 




Josh: I would highly suggest filing away from the metal edge and not towards yourself. While at the same time filing in a curved motion as this will give you the best results possible.



What will my result then be if I performed the step correctly? 


before filing

after filing

Josh: As depicted in the examples above you should achieve these results if performed correctly. If not refer back to the technique I given.



I performed the step correctly but my edges are still a bit rough, what can I do? 




Josh: If your edges are still rough I suggest using sandpaper to completely smooth out any excess metal that the filer didn't get to.



What should my end result look like? 




Josh: If you correctly performed all the steps you should have a result similar to this. If you don't you can refer back to any of the steps above :)


No comments:

Post a Comment